William Alther grew up in West Texas, where he developed an interest in both art and the natural world at an early age. A degree in wildlife biology from Texas A&M University eventually led to a position in the zoology department at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science for 13 years. Throughout, he was an active artist and in 2004 began painting full-time.
He is endlessly fascinated by the landscape and the creatures that live there. "I do enjoy painting other things but animals and landscapes just seem to dominate my attention. Perhaps the best part is the field work. Whether it's getting outside for a couple of hours or going on extended trips, I thoroughly enjoy the exploring, observation, photography, sketching, and outdoor painting that are essential parts of the process to produce paintings."
William participates in several prominent national shows each year in addition to his association with several established and respected galleries. His work is in the permanent collection of the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum and many private collections. He lives in Denver, Colorado, with his wife, Debbie.
- Western Visions, 2011, 2012, 2013, National Museum of Wildlife Art, Jackson, WY
- Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art, 2011, 2012, 2013, Legacy Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ
- Birds in Art, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, WI
- Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013
- Oil Painters of America Central/Western Regional Exhibition, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012
- Salon International, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art, San Antonio, TX
- Art for the Sangres, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, Westcliffe, CO
- Art and the Animal, Society of Animal Artists Annual Exhibition, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- American Birds: A Flight Through Time, 2005, The Wildlife Experience, Parker, CO
- Arts for the Parks (Top 100 2003, 2005; Miniatures 2002, 2004), National Park Academy of the Arts, Jackson, WY
- IV Centuries of Birds in Paintings, Sculpture & Fine Prints, 2003, Clarke Galleries, Stowe, VT
- Art of the West Magazine Merit Award, 2013 Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art, Scottsdale, AZ
- Southwest Art Award of Excellence, 2012 Oil Painters of America Western Regional Exhibition, Denver, CO
- President's Award of Excellence, 2010 Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Scottsdale, AZ
- Oil Painters of America
- Society of Animal Artists
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum